Are hidden calories in your salad sabotaging your healthy diet? Here's how hidden calories can sneak their way in and some healthy alternatives to include in your salad.
Salad Ingredients to Try to Avoid:
- Croutons, processed tortilla chips and large amounts of cheese.
- Processed meats: deli meat, fried chicken, and beef.
- Creamy or sugar filled salad dressings. The average Caesar salad dressing contains 150 calories in 2 tablespoons and 15 grams of fat*.
Healthy Alternative Ingredients to Include in Your Salad:
- Boiled eggs (contains protein and Omega 3’s)
- Fresh vegetables (tomato, capsicum, cucumber, salad greens)
- Black beans, chickpeas (high in fibre)
- Lean protein (baked chicken, turkey and salmon)
- Edamame beans (high in protein, iron and fiber)
- Balsamic dressing – see our easy recipe below.
Balsamic Olive Oil Dressing
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar
- Pinch of Sea Salt and Pepper
- Pinch of Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard (or to taste)
Shake in bottle and store leftover dressing in the fridge.
Easy ways to add a few more healthy benefits:
- Chia Seeds (Omega 3’s)
- PGX® (sprinkle over the salad to help with satiety)
- Flax Seeds or Flax Oil (high in Omega 3’s and Fibre)